Monday, July 14, 2014

Coconut Ice Cream

This recipe was born in a moment of crisis.  Or several years ago on an island in the Southern Philippines.  It depends on how you look at it.  




Anyway, the crisis... 

A friend recently gave us her extra ice cream maker and I had been waiting for weeks in eager anticipation of being able to try it out.  I had even planned ahead and looked at several recipes (decadent chocolate of course!) to make sure I had the necessary ingredients because, at least so far, heavy cream is not a staple in the brick house.  So the day finally came and I excitedly opened the cupboard for the first ingredients... only to find a minuscule amount of cocoa powder.  Of course there must be more in the pantry.  But there wasn't.  My brain hunted for a plan B... no chocolate syrup either.  No fresh berries.  Not very much peanut butter.  What to do?!  Plain vanilla seemed so anti-climactic after all that anticipation.
I saw the shredded coconut... mmm, no.... that would make a weird texture in the ice cream.  But then I remembered that summer in the southern Philippines... remembered life in the village, swimming in the sea, riding down that mountain, laughing and crying with friends, looking up at the tall tall coconut palms - not nearly as high as His love for me... and I remembered rice three times a day and I remembered that wonderful coconut ice cream with the little chocolate chips that we had just that once. Yes!  That's it!  And I ran back to the cupboard and found the coconut extract. 

Whew... crisis averted.



Then I proceded to do what I have a bad habit of doing... I altered the recipe the first time I made it, without making it "the normal way" first.  Unsure of how much extract to put in I tasted the mixture before I put it in the fridge... and wanted to drink that wonderfully sweet and rich coconut milk right then and there :)  However, I did refrain and waited until after I watched with the wonderment of a silly school girl as it churned and was magically transformed into ice cream.



So yes, it is good.  I've since seen recipes with coconut milk in them and may have to try that in the future too.  However this was simple and worked just fine.  I liked it best plain or mixed with some chocolate chips, while my husband ate it mixed with an orange-pinapple ice cream, topped with crushed pineapple and sliced bananas.  Talk about a tropical treat!


Coconut Ice Cream

adapted from the Cuisinart Recipe Booklet

Ingredients - 

1 cup half and half (or whole milk)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
pinch of salt
2 cups heavy cream
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp coconut extract (more or less to taste)

Directions - 

Using a whisk or electric mixer combine the first three ingredients until the sugar is dissolved.  Stir in remaining ingredients and refrigerate a few hours or over night.  Prepare according to your ice cream maker directions.


My husband's combo - coconut, orange, pineapple, and banana


Note - this was very soft initially and we found that it improved after a few hours in the freezer.

Enjoy!




2 comments:

  1. I think Coconut ice cream sounds wonderful!! Did you save me some? No one else here will eat coconut, so I am coconut deprived. I think the chocolate chips sound wonderful, much like a Mounds bar. But the other is good too. Yum!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately it is gone... but making more is easy :) Maybe you will have to come over for ice cream some time!

      Delete