Friday, February 7, 2014

Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies

If you are trying to be a little bit careful about your carb intake, you had better have some moral support when making these brownies.  I just had one and immediately wanted to eat half of the pan!  My husband encouraged me not to :)




But seriously, they're good.  It seemed like the perfect recipe to try around Valentine's day, especially since I recently learned my husband has a thing for Red Velvet.  Who knew?  If you want a special treat for Valentine's and don't have the time to mess with something fussy these would be a great option because they are easy to make, look pretty, and taste delicious.  I also altered the recipe slightly (surprise, surprise!) to use a red velvet cake mix so that you don't have to put in unending amounts of red food coloring.


I got more dough covering the cheesecake layer than I would have liked - just be careful how much dough you reserve



Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies

Adapted slightly from Southern Bite

Ingredients -
1 Box Red Velvet cake mix
1/2 C. Butter, melted
3 T. Vegetable oil
1 Egg

1 (8oz) Package Neufchatel or cream cheese
1/3 C. Granulated sugar
1 Egg

1 t. Vanilla


Directions -
Combine first four ingredients, mixing well.  Reserve about 1/3 cup of this very thick dough and press the remainder evenly into a greased 9x13" pan.  Mix about three tablespoons of water with the dough that you kept back (thinning it for easier swirling).  Beat softened neufch√Ętel cheese, sugar, egg, and vanilla until smooth (I used my KitchenAid mixer, which makes this so much easier!).  Spread over the dough in your 9x13, creating a cheesecake layer, then drop the reserved and thinned brownie dough on top.  Swirl as desired with knife.
Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until set.  Cool completely before cutting.

Enjoy! 



No comments:

Post a Comment